Saturday, February 15, 2020

True Love: a Valentine's Day reflection


I have seen in the movies and read in books that true love is about finding joy in each other, about holding hands and giving roses and writing love letters.  I have heard in wedding speeches and sermons that true love is about staying faithful even when it isn’t fun. 

I believe that both of these are true.

And I have seen second-hand that true love is often about wiping dirty bottoms, and spoon-feeding, and encouragement to try one more time, to get up for another day.  True love is about staying faithful even when someone’s personality changes after a brain injury or during the onset of dementia.

This Valentine’s Day, I am reflecting about what I have learned about true love from spouses who take on the role of caregivers—and spouses who take on the role of patient.  Neither role is chosen, but when embraced, both teach us about true love.


I wish I could tell you stories about them.  My patients and their spouses.  I wish I could shout to the world about the meaning of love they teach me.  Out of respect for their privacy, however, I will give you only a few snapshots, and I’m scrambling the details so no one is identifiable.

A wife wipes her husband’s mouth as he struggles to spoon-feed himself pureed vegetables.

In speech therapy, a husband practices over and over again saying the phrase “I love you” so he can finally say it to his wife.

A wife kisses her husband on the forehead as he stares at photographs of his family and cannot recall their names.

A spouse brings a mattress into the inpatient hospital room so their beloved doesn’t have to spend the night alone.

Two spouses pray the rosary together even as one of them is connected to IVs and oxygen tanks.

Roses, Valentine’s Day cards, and balloons crowd the windowsill in a hospital room.

A husband calls his wife during a speech therapy session so she can practice answering the phone.

A wife tells her husband his joke is funny even though he just told the same one five minutes before, to make her laugh.

Two spouses in wheelchairs insist on sitting close enough to hold hands.

I could go on and on and on with moments like these.  Caregiver-spouses and patient-spouses show that marriage is a forever-commitment, that the union of souls is deeper even than the union of minds.  Because minds can change.  External circumstances can change how a mind works and even how a personality presents.  Sometimes the changes are obviously positive, maturity and growth.  But what about when the changes are more complicated, like a new cognitive disability, or increased social inhibition?  What then? 

True love supports and does not enable.  True love sets appropriate boundaries, even when it’s unpleasant.  This is a difficult dance.  And sometimes, true love makes mistakes and gets angry and storms out of the room, because we are all humans.

And my patients—learning to love and be loved in a new way, re-understanding what it means to be themselves.  That takes more courage than I could ever imagine.

There is so much more to true love that I have yet to learn.  I am sure I’ve gotten some things wrong, even here in this reflection.  If you want to understand more about true love’s endurance, ask someone with acquired disabilities or chronic illness and their spouse.  I know I’ve talked before about the book Hope Heals, by Katherine and Jay Wolf; they have chosen to be very vulnerable with the journey of their marriage through stroke and brain surgery.  (I am excited to read their new book, Suffer Strong!)  Maria Morera Johnson wrote about her experience caregiving for her spouse with Lou Gehrig’s in My Badass Book of Saints.  Madeleine L’Engle chronicled her journey with her husband from courtship to battling cancer in Two Part Invention: Story of a Marriage.  Ashley Stevens describes her journey of healing and her husband’s commitment after a terrible car wreck at her blog Mountains Unmoved.  Or you could ask a loved one, or a neighbor, or a friend. 

If there is one thing I have learned from my patients and their spouses, it is this:  True love is bigger than sickness.  True love never fails.

No comments: