Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Being Intentional (with an SLP freebie)


Many patients are surprised that my cognitive therapy sessions don’t involve logic puzzles or crosswords.  With me, cognitive therapy looks a lot more like intentional planning for daily life.  Most of the time, the “strategies” I suggest to my patients are practical habits such as repeating new information to themselves, using reminders in their environment, or making sure to double- and triple-check their work.  “But I already do those things,” they protest.

“Of course,” I reply, “these are normal ways of learning and remembering.  But as your body and your brain are healing, you may find you have to be more intentional about doing things that once came naturally or automatically to you.”

Maybe the same is true for soul-healing.




A few days ago, during a therapy session, as I had yet another conversation with a patient about intentionality, I felt a small tug at my heart—this idea that brain-healing and soul-healing may have some common threads.  As I write this reflection, the idea is still a seedling.  I’m eager for it to grow.

Intellectually, I know the basics of living well.  I have a routine of work, rest, nourishment, exercise, and creativity.  I pray daily, give thanks, and regularly receive the Eucharist.  I try to love God, others, and myself, and to receive love graciously.  

But sometimes my soul feels a little broken.  Like my mind and my heart aren’t in sync.  I find love difficult to receive, I resent the quirks of my loved ones, my mood fluctuates, and prayer seems hollow.  I have difficulty trusting myself and trusting God.  Sometimes there’s an easily identified event that started all the trouble; but sometimes, for no reason at all, my spiritual life just seems… off.

In these circumstances, my usual routine doesn’t come naturally anymore.  I overwork and forget to rest, I feel too exhausted to exercise, or I find myself too restless to be creative or pray. 

Perhaps the way back to my healthy rhythm is through intentionality.  Just like my patients after a brain injury, maybe I too need to be more intentional about doing the things I know make me well.  For me, this involves planning good meals and times for exercise, reading Scripture and nourishing my spirit, practicing self-love and love of others, reminding myself that there is always hope.  Things that don’t come so naturally in a time of soul-healing. 

I often encourage my patients to use visual (and auditory) reminders:  calendars, signs, phone alarms, etc.  Maybe I need to start peppering my own environment with reminders to breathe, rest, and trust.  I also encourage them to repeat important information to themselves.  Maybe a positive mantra or two would not go amiss in my own life, something to repeat over and over again so I remember it when I need it most.  Something like “I am loved” or simply “trust”.

The next time I’m feeling “off”, I’m going to try to listen to my own advice:  be intentional.

*

For my fellow speech therapists, or anyone who needs a handout for intentional memory strategies, here is a little freebie:  a handout of memory strategies following the acronym “RAG” (it stands for Repetition, Association, and Give yourself reminders).  The file is a PDF with four versions for varying patient needs:

~a simple version, words only
~words only with explanations
~a simple version with picture explanations
~a picture version for patients who can’t read

Click here to view and download the handout--feel free to print and use in your practice or share with loved ones and friends who could use it.

I hope you find this handout useful in your practice.  I have also posted it in the Speech Therapy tab under Handouts for future reference.

No comments: